Wednesday, September 22, 2010

FOOD: Tinga'licious, go make some tacos!

Tinga is one of my favorite Mexican dishes, its amazing and so versatile that I've been know to eat it cold.

I have known Mexicans form at least 10 out of the 31 states that claim Tinga as a state creation, the truth of the matter is unknown to me, but what I do know is that Pork or chicken this dish is one of the best and  easiest meals to prepare.

If you have read my foodbuzz profile you should know I'm a pork fanatic and pork tinga is my favorite, in mexico we have carnitas establishments, and that is my favorite source for meat, carnitas is pork that has been marinated and deep fried in its own grease. how ever I know a trick where you can simply boil pork with some bay leaves and then brown it on a pan as a step for the preparation of tinga.

The heat in tinga comes form Chipotles en adobo, smoky chipotle chiles that have been preserved in a semisweet sauce ( I prefer the morena brand to any other) but the dish works well with almost any chipotle in adobo.

Here is a quick step by step most should be able to follow:


  • 2lb of carnitas or boiled pork
  • 10 oz of mexican chorizo
  • 1 large onion
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1 medium can of chipotles in adobo ( 8oz)
  • 1/2 tsp of crushed mexican oregano
  • 1/2 tsp of crushed thyme
  • 1 cup stock chicken or pork.
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • Lots of tortillas



Heat a  large 10 to 12inch pan , add 3 spoons of oil and brown one large onion cut in strips brown , add one clove of minced  garlic and sauté until golden, set a side and brown 8 to 10 oz of Mexican chorizo, add the shredded carnitas or shredded boiled pork , lower the heat and cook until meat is brown and a little dry, at this point add a medium can of the chipotles in adobo, a dash of oregano salt pepper and thyme to the pan, return onions, mix well and add one cup of chicken or pork stock. evaporate until you can scrape  the bottom of the pan and you are ready.

top tacos  with cilantro


ENYOY.   JD

No comments:

Post a Comment