Friday, September 17, 2010

FOOD: Menudo, mornings.

Once more I find myself writing about Mexican food and in this case my hard work tonight will reward me with a steaming hot plate of Menudo tomorrow morning.


For my readers that have never had this Mexican specialty, Menudo is a dish prepared with the cows stomachs, specifically the reticulum (honeycomb and pocket tripe), and the omasum (book/bible/leaf tripe), and its a very special dish, some say its an acquired taste yet some love it from the first spoon full. I personally enjoy this plate very much.


As far as I know there is no record on how old the tradition of Menudo is, but italians have a several tripe dishes notably Trippa alla fiorentina, so we should assume there might be some European influence in this dish.




Hard work indeed; tripe must be washed and rinsed, as much grease as possible must be removed from the meat, cut in to spoon size chunks, garlic must be pealed and the tripe must cooked for at least 6 hours to ensure it is not chewy. after that for the northern version I'm preparing, a Chihuahua style menudo a red chile paste must be cooked pureed and strained in to the boiling menudo and 1 hour before serving hominy must be added to the pot.


But believe me its all worth it. the Mexican breakfast of champions


Experiment and Enjoy.   JD

No comments:

Post a Comment