Tuesday, September 14, 2010

WINE: Serious about my red.

Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot noir, Merlot, all very popular grapes.

And for most American drinkers its with one of these they had the first wine experience, but in Spain, a sun drenched peninsula known for its marvelous wine, most drinkers grow enjoying a different grape a small little grape, a grape that in Rioja and in Ribera del Duero  its transformed in to a wine that every year gets elevated to new heights that can make any wine envy.



Tempranillo is this little grape, and the wine you can make form it is a very serious wine by this I mean no nonsense, this wine has presence on your palate, balanced tannins and favors of berries, plum, tobacco, vanilla, leather and herbs. Its good when its young its amazing when its been aged in oak, so far I have not been disappointed by tempranillo, I prefer Paternina but most Spanish producers have amazing tempranillo wines, I like their character and the fact that you can get great vintage wine at good prices.

It has been called Spain’s noble grape for a reason.

Try it and Enjoy
JD

 


1 comment:

  1. Mmmm...I love tempranillo, but don't usually have it on hand. I think I may need to take a trip to the wine shop.

    ReplyDelete